Monday, July 30, 2007

Stretching out time

That damn civilized notion, Time. Well this is the heart of the summer, and time almost doesn't exist anymore. Number one, as I'm off my main job for the summer, no schedule but my own, I'm having a hard time figuring out what day of the month we are, if not what day of the week. And it feels good. Does it matter? No. It's 7pm, which I know only because I glanced at the bottom right hand corner of my laptop, since I don't wear a watch during my summer break, and it still feels like 4pm, siesta time. Sitting out in the garden here, enjoying how green it has become, thanks to the healthy alternance of rain and sun we've had in late spring and early summer, I'm listening to the breeze in the trees, the birds, the wind chime, the occasional cries of neighbor's kids playing in the distance, and I delight in watching the playful effects of sunlight and shade on everything. So days are endless, you can actually accomplish a lot at your own pace, and nights are short, very short, but so beautiful. A couple of nights ago I was awakened at 2 am by a pack of coyotes howling like crazy, which lasted for about half an hour, and then it took me till dawn to get back to sleep. But it didn't matter. No schedule, remember? Yesterday night, in spite of the accumulated tiredness, I went to sleep pretty late, since from my bed around midnight I saw the moon rise over the trees, surrounded with a halo of clouds, and it was so soothing to watch these clouds change shape as they moved along, and listen to the summer breeze and the water on the river. And I thought once more of how fortunate I was, how many people can watch this from their bed? Living in an environment like this one can make up for anything, and cure just about anything. And thus help you get along and go forward. I'm so glad I left Paris!

No comments: