Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fall ride


Fall colors are starting to kick in. I took my bike at the end of the day, followed the dike to the wildlife area, and came back through Wiley road, and back into Mann.
On the dike, I met my neighbor Bob, also riding his bike. Then by Allan's quack shack, I smelled wood burning. At the end of the dike, I saw some quack shacks completing their gentrification remodelling. Bob's neighbor carved a totem pole in front of his cabin. Once in the wildlife area, I could smell the iodine from the Bay. Hunting season's gonna start soon, so I want to enjoy the last quiet days. Past the Wildlife area headquarters, I admired the fields, the silos, and then into Mann the tall grasses bording the sloughs. A neighbor walking her dog, some sheep. It felt SO good. Back on the river I sat on the dock to watch the fall colors on the trees: tangerine. Many leaves have already fallen, piercing the screen on the opposite bank of the river with a few patches of sky. The river was very quiet, deep green and golden. Last show, the flaming colors setting on Beck's canoe on the other side.
What is really important?

No comments: