Friday, October 17, 2008

Getting old (sort of)

Every now and then I stumble upon the idea that I'm slowly but surely getting old. So what? Nothing extraordinary there but the course of nature. I mean, I didn't expect to be as fit as in my twenties but, when a calorie burning person like me, every now and then, is reminded by mother nature that well, she should pace herself, slow down (what? slow down more than I've already done so, by moving from Paris to Skagit valley? that possible?) Yes, it is. It is not necessarily about the physical thing, but about accepting the idea that you can do only a certain number of things a day. That the To Do lists I make every day are way too ambitious, and that well, if some items are not completed by the end of the day, I shouldn't feel bad about it. Yeah, but that's the very paradox of getting old, time flies, no time to waste, you gotta get things done. Ok, these are the bad days. Actually I do sometimes manage to think, well, let's just BE, for God'sake. Anyway in this country exhausting yourself won't do any good or bring you any medals, since exhausting yourself at work is the norm. But I'm not really fitting in that box.
As we say in French, "cherchez l'erreur" ("Look for the error".)
The real thing I should put every single day on my list and shouldn't derive from, is "take some time for yourself, every day". I do. But not enough.

No comments: