Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The other adventure of the day

Today at the campus where I teach the subtilities of the French language we received an email from the campus police warning us about... a cougar sighting. (kind of changes from last week's warning about a rape and burglaries having occured on campus). Somebody reported having seen a cougar yesterday around midnight there, so we were all forwarded information on "how to behave if you encounter a cougar".
Advice #1: "Stop & don't run". Sure dude, I'll remember that when I meet the guy.
Then, I quote" make yourself as big as possible" for this piece of advice I'm already disqualified, since I'll never look as imposing as a cougar with my 48 kilos, (90 pounds or something like that), so let's be serious, if I met a cougar, I doubt I can convince him I'm not a prey.
Advice #2: "do not approach the animal" Do they think we are THAT dumb?
then, "Never take your eyes off the animal", fuck, do they expect me to stare at this guy without shitting in my pants??? or fainting???
Next, "If the animal displays aggressive behavior, shout, wave your arms and throw rocks. The idea is to convince the cougar that you are not prey, but a potential danger.
If the cougar attacks, fight back aggressively and try to stay on your feet. Cougars have been driven away by people who have fought back. ". I don't know why, but I really don't see myself fighting a mountain lion.
Maybe, after all, I'm living in a wild area.
BTW, I've always feared AND admired cougars, the first time I had such information on them was on my first visit to the US southwest, in the late 90's, as I was camping in Mesa Verde, CO, they had closed a whole area of the park, as a child had recently been attacked... because he started running when he saw the cougar. And because he was small... I wish I were a giant...

No comments: