Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sun-day

Today we had 4 blue jays on the bird feeder on the dock. Those guys are pretty talkative. Even Mr.B doesn't approach them.
The Sun part of it eventually showed up as we were back from the dog wash. The 2 mutts needed it badly. Eddie washed Mr.B and I took care of Gonzalo, a.k.a "Goat". So we washed them and gave them a haircut.. It was high time, otherwise they were ready to be placed on a public thoroughfare with a cardboard sign and a hat. They sure would have provided us with a substantial additional income, since people generally tend to care more for dogs than for humans...
So I cut-or tried to cut- Gonzalo's hair. The whiner whined and wriggled so much it ended up with a 2 gin & tonic haircut- without the gin and tonic, that's no fun-
Gonzalo is a neurotic dog, and as he's ageing he's getting worse. I told Eddie he should take him to a dog whisperer. No kidding. So next time I'll take Mr.B - our star untamed Westy- and I'll let Eddie deal with the rat that thinks he's a dog- for that's Gonzalo's problem-
Imagine, you're a rat and all your life you're trying to be a dog. That would drive anybody nuts. Moreover, Gonzalo is a frustrated homosexual, he's homo, I've seen him trying desperately to shag Mr.B. Besides, the poor creature has never had the opportunity to exercise his sex life, since he was operated. Castrated. That's another cruelty that should be abolished. Castrating cats and dogs. I mean, what right do we have, we so called superior humans, to inflict that to our pets? Tell me, guys, how would you like it if we decided- for your own good(?)-to castrate you? Think about it, I'm serious. The right to have a sex life should be written among the inalienable rights of our pets.
...............................
So when we came back the sun was out and we made potatoes and bacon on the BBQ on the dock.That's life.Then I had a nap on the Walela. I watched the golden light on the river and trees. Leaves are starting to turn golden or red on the opposite bank. I saw a couple of dead trees standing out, no leaves, white bark. Then I fell asleep. Dreamt, oh, dreamt.Dreamt awake, then dreamt in my sleep. Those dreams I won't tell about, they belong only to me.
...............................
I woke up, had a coffee and a cigarette on the dock. Leila decided to make some "crêpes", so we went to the little market to get butter and milk. Had fun in the car listening to French songs. The light was awesome on Mann Road.
..................................
Big logs are starting to come by more often on the river. A couple of days ago a huge one got stuck under the end of the dock, the other extremity under Mick's little boat. We had to call Nath, it took the 3 of us to dislodge the monster. It's high time I took care of our boats insurance.
......................................
I wanted to do things today, finish a painting, write. Ended up taking it easy. The nap was a very good idea. As I'm sitting on my bed, watching the river going backwards and writing, I think it's good I didn't do anything more, good to slow down. I need to "gather myself" anyway: I have paintings that need to simmer for a while, I have to let my thoughts drift for a while, and let go with the "what to do's", "how to do it's", and "I have to do's". Also allow feelings to slow down for a while, -that's the tough part- just let them be.
.........................................
Leila is now making the crêpes. Mmmmm... smells good of France.
........................................
The sun has now set, and I'm writing on the dock while there is still enough light, with a glass of white wine. Leila's piling up the crêpes, flavored with rhum, and the 2 of us are having French music. The opposite shore and the river look like a Dutch painting, and it's slack tide. A slight breeze is fluffing the trees, I like the sound of it. Watching these little nature happenings does pacify me. The river is so flat now, a perfect mirror. "Let it be!" she tells me. "Let it be!"
Beware of the Skagit river. She's powerful. She called me from Paris. Then the first thing she did 3 years ago when I settled here was to show me her worst -the flood- as if to make sure I wanted to stay- I accepted. I don't care when it gurgles furiously, even then I like her. Sometimes when it reaches flood stage and gurgles, on the boat it feels like you're inside a washing machine. All night. I learned to listen to her, and to follow her schedule. Away from over stimulation, she reminds me of what is really important, and makes me more humble, and more thankful.
..............................
Tomorrow is gonna be laundry day. No, away, parasite thought!
Today, now, the night is falling: colors are almost gone, everything turning into shadowy ghostly shapes.
...............................
The moon is out and coyotes are howling. Good night.

I like the way this day has worked on me.

No comments: