Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Elements of nature

It's raining today. A steady pre-spring rain. I usually don't like it when it gets so soggy but on my way back home I thought"good for my garden"and I decided to make the best of it, exited the highway to come back home via Dyke road, so as to switch off from work mode, and was immediately rewarded by the sight of hundreds of geese in the fields. I stopped, and watched. Further on I stopped again, to look at the bald eagle's nest, the same place as each year. Those things are huge.
Once at home I first went down to the boat and had a snack, watching the rain on the river, the river that got faster. It was so soggy that even Mr.B didn't bother going out, he lay there having a nap.
Now I'm sitting here in the trailer, listening to the rain, dripdripdrip-drip-drip.drip-dripdripdrip... and as often in these days of steady rain, there's a leak in the trailer. Had to put a little bucket there. I like that. Disruption. Irruption of nature to remind you that you can't control everything.
I had a little tour of my garden. The light was yellowish outside. I saw a bald eagle perched on the tree by the beach. I looked at my plants and trees, trying to see which ones were likely to recover from the winter damage. I examined them, searching for the tiny buds announcing the coming spring. I observed the water drops on the edge of the Japanese maple branches, what a strange thing they are, the essence of life.

No comments: