Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The concert

Lately as the annoucers of the coming spring showed up one after the other almost overnight, I delighted in noticing their presence, which is mainly of the auditive type so far. The river bank is barely starting to turn green, the dense thickets of berries and wild roses being the first ones to call my attention:"Don't you see me, I'm green, I'm green!". A few buds in my garden too. But the most noticable annoucers are the chants of all the fauna. Birds were the first, a few weeks ago, to start the serenade. A couple of days ago, as I was sitting on the dock in the evening, the serenade turned into a concert. My compatriots, the frogs, had decided that they'd had enough of the winter and that it was time to claim their place in the orchestra pit. That was the night following the click that brought temperatures in the 70's. So I was granted a first row seat for the concerto en frog mineur. I don't know how many of them there were, but it sounded like they were in the hundreds, a philarmonic orchestra. Who needs to go to the opera? I had forgotten the blessing it was to sit there, being actually...warm, mmmm, warm. So I was surrounded with all the tenors the river has in store, and yes, Oh the perfumes emanating from the river and the earth, finally let loose, as if somebody had actually opened a bottle. It felt like summer. We even had mosquitoes. Got my first bite of the season. Never thought I'd ever be pleased to have one. This minor incident put me in an exhilarating state, hey, it's gonna be picnic season! lingering season! siesta season! Even the river had a new song to play. Later on, as I lay in bed with my window open, I listened, and went to sleep lullabied by the frogs, and had the best sleep I've had for months. Only to awaken in that debauchery of light, sun rays, and birds fighting who sings louder. It's like awakening from a long, dark dream. You wake up, and you think, "I'm alive!"and your first move is to step out, to see, listen, and smell. I feel like a pagan. Let's celebrate the spring and greet it the way it should be.

No comments: