Monday, March 26, 2007

la Conner Police blotter, continued.

" Thursday March 15, 9.27am. Foul jam: An apparent stranger to these parts -you bet- called to report that turkeys were causing a traffic jam, near the intersection of Morris and Second streets. The turkeys, which have laid claim to La Conner's streets, eventually moved on, allowing motorists to pass ".
Now imagine. imagine my French relatives and friends reading this. Just one minute. Even assuming they know where La Conner is. (the 3 that came know, and the 3 LOVED La Conner, BTW).But just imagine, OK?
Well to me, if I imagine, this sounds like it's straight out of a Garcia Marquez novel.
So you could call that quaint little town Macondo, or La Conner, somewhere in Western washington, not far from the Canadian border with Bush country. The country of bushes, of course. So what you learn reading this police blotter in the local newspaper is that in this quaint little town of La Conner, WA, the most politically active citizens are a group of turkeys, who regularly demonstrate to claim and reclaim theit right as the indigeneous inhabitants of the area. Usually nobody ever bothers to call the police for the "traffic jams" caused by the creatures. Devilish or not, that remains to be determined. However, the fact that this caused a 911 call is very significant to me, of the frame of mind some people in this country are in.
I mean , the same thing happened to me a few days ago, and several times before, to be bloked for a little while by a group of turkeys in downtown La Conner, but then I just waited, amused, till the creatures crossed the streets and allowed me to proceed. You see where I'm heading? I mean of course it had to be, number one, a stranger, number two, a dummy, number three, an asshole with time to spare, to call 911-and therefore monopolize the police services attention much more needed elsewhere- about a group of turkeys blocking "traffic"?!
Let me tell you, the person who called was an alien with a capital A. I also think there should be a penalty for people who calll 911 when it is not justified, therefore using the precious time of police forces who might be needed more critically elsewhere. THAT is what I'd call irresponsible behavior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The person who called the Skagit County Sheriff was from Canada. Don't ask me how I know this.