Monday, March 12, 2007

Horizontal gangway and related thoughts

Yesterday's wind storm did chase the rain away, and helped me with my river landscape painting. I didn't need to put any music on, the wind provided the music. Wild,wild, wild.
Today the wind finally died down, only to leave its place to high waters, and the Skagit is under flood warning. Back home from work today I was planning to have a walk along the dyke to watch the river, but thought it wiser to stay here on the dock, since there were a few phenomenal trees and debris passing by our boats. Had to seize the perch a couple of times to push away some of them. Tonight the gangway's horizontal, which means almost flood stage. My neighbor's garden's flooded, and the river is just threatening mine, licking the edge of my beds. As I was sitting out on the waleela deck I noticed the gangway was horizontal. I then wondered what happenned to the salmons. Floods probably disturb the river bed enough to disturb them too, judging from the incredible speed of the waters. So I was wondering what the salmons do in such cases. Do they let themselves be drifted away to the bay, understanding it's their best option? do they cling to the river bed, trying to find a hiding place? or do they perish drowned? drowned. That would be a bummer, for a fish. Not unlikely though, the force of that water is pretty scary, let me tell you. It has resumed its latte color, like last fall, and it's bubbling and gurgling like a giant stew. The boat creaks and rocks back and forth, the ropes tieing it to the dock pulled to the extreme, making that creaking sound that makes you feel as if you were on a pirate ship. Every now and then we go out with a flashlight, checking the ropes, the water level, keeping night watch as on a vessel.
I once lived in a big hubby-trendy town in Europe, called Paris. That was in another life.

No comments: