Saturday, November 01, 2008

Conversation with Mr.Fall

So far we’ve been blessed with a pretty good, mild Fall season, and lately Mr. Fall decided it was high time it made a noticeable, if not dramatic, stage entrance:
“What? Still lingering on summer? How could you forget? How could you forget the Pacific Northwest Fall show?
I see, you’ve been betraying me with the summer, that treacherous season with its artifices and delusions, its heady perfumes, its vulgar barbeque smell.
Whereas I, the artist, the great splasher of watercolors that makes you look up as you walk,
I, who provide you with the best sound and light show,
How could you forget me?
That summer lover you have, all he has is blue and green, only primary colors, no nuances.
But look! Look at the different show I put out every day for you to see…
Can’t you just finally welcome me, and all the joys associated with me?
Didn’t I paint a gorgeous canvas today as you were driving back in the valley?
That ethereal white golden light, that cluster of lavender clouds,
shaped as a sea sponge, drinking the moisture, spreading its tentacles above Skagit valley,
then wringing the moisture out and pouring the precious showers,
rinsing the dark sienna plowed fields,
leaving behind those crystal pools looking up to the sky that gave them life,
reflecting the quintessence of light.
And Ah! The smell of rain and dirt!
And what about my turning those trees into incandescent sculptures of gold and copper?
I called my friend, the wind, to bend those hunchback trees, clinging to life.
Just look up, and you’ll see his full, round cheeks, he’s blowing his heart out,
vacuum cleaning the valley, and in a whirling saraband,
scattering a shower of golden nuggets, now carpeting your little town.
Yes, I’m bringing the cool wind, that allows you humans to introspect,
And savor the warmth of your homes, and of your stoves.
Stew season! Ah! The slow cooking of a fall stew, patiently and maliciously purring in a witch’s pot!”

No comments: