Wednesday, September 20, 2006

4 days and 4 nights in Gallup,NM, Indian hospital

How to write about this? It is dawn and I'm soon going to have to leave my friend and this time I know I'll never see her again it's amazing how destructive untold unhappiness can be she's as yellow as a quince her face all swollen her days and nights are only ordeal now, dealing with the pain but death is an unforgiving adversary I won't be able to give her her bath today nor to massage her feet since I have to leave early what am I gonna tell her when I leave what can you tell your best friend when you both know this to be the last encounter and you both know she's going somewhere she'll never come back from? my body and mind are heavy with the burden of seeing her suffering and of seeing all the suffering and the misery encapsulated in this hospital lots of it because of the agua caliente the white man had the satanic genious to offer these people now she's awakening and I have to tell her my friend I have to leave now please fight for your life I want to see you again how can I say such a stupid thing and for the first time ever I see tears rolling down her cheeks that is all she can do too weak to say anything goodbye my friend I love you and I leave the room and step out in the still half lit corridor with a torrent of tears I cannot hold back goodbye my friend Hagoo'ne.