Monday, September 25, 2006

Open letter to my daughter for her 18th Bday


On September 26th, 18 years ago, at 7pm French time, in a little hospital in Normandy, after 20 hours of labor -yes,20hours- that were supposed to be relatively easy -the midwife had told me that my pelvis area was as wide as a boulevard, and that therefore there shouldn't be any difficulty giving birth. A boulevard, my foot! I think the truth of the matter is that I did have a relatively large pelvis, due to my Mediterranean origins, but that the midwife, by so admiring my so called ideal anatomy for childbirth, in fact gave me "the bad eye"as we say in Tunisia, by not using the protective formula always to follow a compliment. Therefore, thanks to that bitch, when labor started, it seems that my pelvis had inexplicably shrinked! The baby was not in cause, she was a regular 3.1Kg little thing. However that child came when she was ready. -And she still does so when she has something scheduled-
Today she's gonna be eighteen.She's beautiful, clever, funny, and a talented photographer. She wanted a tattoo for her Bday- how original - it seems that everybody in this country, including over 40 mums and dads, have their body covered with those things. So she'll have her tattoo. But I felt like writing something for her today.
My daughter,
I can't believe it's 18 years, it feels like yesterday to me. No, that is so déjà vu.
-Sorry Honey, I haven't written love letters for a while. But I wanted to tell you, besides Happy Birthday, that you are the best thing that ever happenned to me. I hope it is the best thing that also happenned to you, I mean to be given birth. For that is what it is supposed to be, that we women have the so-called priviledge to do: Give life.The gift of life. Oh, no,now that sounds like one of those pro-life billboards .
-Sorry Honey, it's a long time I haven't written a love letter.
So yes I've tried my best to make you feel welcome in this world, protecting you, guiding you as I thought best for you, though for sure it has not always been perfect, but perfection is not of this world. Now I'm still doing so, though the nature of that guidance has somewhat changed, for I need to help you grow as an independant woman, because I'm aware that one day you'll have to, or you will want, to fly with your own wings. This can be difficult, you will experience that many times in your life, like all of us, but as I told you many times, my daughter, do not be afraid of living, for fear is your worst enemy. Fear holds people back and keeps them from doing what they want or dream of, turning them into embittered beings whose life is nothing but regrets and what if's. So learn how to protect yourself, but don't be afraid, my daughter, for this life, though paved with difficulties and challenges, is also a wonderful discovery. Be also patient, for sometimes one has to wait for things to be in place in this life. Haste can cause serious, long lasting inconvenients. So be curious, learn everything you can, and enjoy and cherish your loved ones, for life is too short - I know, this one is a re-warmed dish- but it is true. You have only one life, enjoy it, you have only one body and one mind, take care of them!
Because I love you so much Honey, I would like you to grow into a solid, independant, free woman. Financially independant.(the obsession of all parents). A free and critical spirit.(so as not to be screwed all the time by our politicians,your boss,and your lovers, and all the pusharounds, and the list is not exhaustive).Grounded (One can still hope!).Proud of who you are. Generous. Following your true call. Loving.
Happy Birthday Leila. I love you.

No comments: