Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Reconnecting...


... with the river. I've had guests from France for over a month now, and today my second friend Beki left. Here's her blog, where she made a thorough and lively account of her vacation here: http://aparisianlife.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html
But back on the river I enjoyed reconnecting with the river and with the nature on shore. As soon as I was on the gangway I took in the Skagit in all its splendor, more beautiful even than in full summer season, with that milky turquoise hue, so peaceful and refreshing. And a perfect blend of just enough heat and breeze to make you feel you're in heaven.No kidding. I am frustrated by my not having the accuracy of language to describe it the way I see it, and that's why I'm better at using paint, or photography.
It was a peaceful afternoon, not having to go anywhere,just drinking it all. The garden on shore needed tender love and care,which is the only thing I was up to today. How good it was to have the time to look at things! and smell them! I picked some cherry tomatoes, a zucchini, and some lemon cukes.
Then I made a grilled pepper salad, Tunisian recipe. I love the smell of bell peppers on the grill. One of those things that make life worth living.
Then enjoying that dinner in the garden, with a glass of wine, oh, boy!
You can feel thefall creeping in, sunset colors have changed, I had forgotten how subtle it can be: today the sky by Wiley road was green at dusk.

No comments: