Saturday, September 23, 2006

Yahoos season is in

That's it. Yesterday I could hear distant shooting, and I've seen the birds coming in formation for a couple of days now. This morning as I was having coffee I heard a flock of birds and saw them as I stepped out on the dock flying over the river. I'm always pleased to see them back, that cheers me up like the visit of an old friend. It is the "youth only season" starting today, that is junior yahoos -less than 16 years of age- go around here mentored by an adult to train their hunting skills. Which means you'd better stay out of the wildlife area, man, that's a scary thought! I remember my first season here and how strange it was for me to meet some of our neighbors with rifles and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. The funniest thing for me was to see those hunters' boats passing in front of us in the morning with all their camouflage, sometimes so sophisticated it made them look like they were heading for a re-enactment of Dien Bien Phu. I took snapshots and sent to my folks in France who got a kick out of it. I'm voluntarily staying on the anecdotical point of view on this one, because if I start on gun culture so early I'll elevate my blood pressure . No good.
To be on a more positive note, the morning light is full of promises today and it's gonna be warmer. That means I can weedwack my garden. Plenty of things to do here, which is what I need. Being busy outdoors.
I'll probably end the day with the opening at the cafe, if I'm in the mood for it. There are 3 artists this time, none of them I think I know.

No comments: